Kathleen C. Ropka | Attorney
Kathleen C. Ropka is based in Cotney Construction Law’s Chicago Office and has over 20 years of experience as an attorney. Kathleen’s practice encompasses a variety of areas of construction law, with a focus on construction litigation, contract review and drafting, lien and bond law, contract negotiations, corporate law, commercial litigation and real estate.
Kathleen has firsthand experience with the construction industry. Kathleen’s father was the owner of a commercial rebar installation company in Chicago where she often worked in the office handling the day to day operations of the company. In December of 2000, after her father retired, Kathleen started a new commercial rebar installation company with her brothers naming the company after their father, J. Coyne Construction, Inc. As with her father’s company, J. Coyne Construction, Inc. is a member of Iron Workers Local Union #1. Kathleen continues to participate in the operations of the business.
Prior to joining Cotney Construction Law, Kathleen worked at a general litigation law firm in Chicago where she gained invaluable experience in a wide array of practice areas including civil rights claims under Section 1983, commercial litigation, construction and corporate law and real estate. Kathleen has successfully represented clients in both jury and non-jury trials in state court and federal court and has practiced before the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit and the Illinois Appellate Court, First District. Kathleen now utilizes her diverse legal background and experience in the construction industry to best serve Cotney Construction Law and its clients.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., Dean’s Scholar, 1993
- DePaul University, B.A., cum laude, 1990
- Cotney Construction Law, LLP, Chicago, IL, Associate Attorney, July 2020 to Present
- Coyne Reinke Law, Chicago, IL, Of Counsel, October 2009 to June 2020
- J. Coyne Construction, Inc., Chicago, IL, President, December 2000 to present
- Gregory E. Kulis & Associates, Chicago, IL, Associate Attorney, October 1993 to September 2009
- Illinois State Bar
- Northern District of Illinois Bar
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Federal Trial Bar
Selected Professional and Civic Activities
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association