Matt Pipes | Attorney
Matt joined Cotney Construction Law in 2019 with extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, private equity, securities, and general corporate law.
Matt has practiced corporate and securities law since 1999 and routinely represents institutional investors, private equity funds, FORTUNE 500 corporations, closely-held companies, and entrepreneurial start-ups in a range of industries with securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, general commercial transactions, internal corporate governance matters, and real estate transactions. He regularly advises clients with regard to structuring, negotiating, and completing a wide variety of complex commercial transactions.
His experience includes IPOs, registered follow-on offerings by issuers, resale registrations for the benefit of selling shareholders, and private placements under Regulation D and other common exemptions from registration. He also represents companies with respect to the acquisition and sale of distressed businesses, including Section 363 bankruptcy sales.
Outside the office, Matt enjoys reading, traveling, watching college sports, and spending time with family and friends.
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., 1999
- University of Florida, B.S.,1995
- Cotney Construction Law, Tampa, FL, June 2019 – Present, Partner
- Hill Ward Henderson, Tampa, FL, October 2015 – May 2019, Senior Counsel
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP, Tampa, FL, January 2015 – September 2015, Senior Attorney
- Glenn Rasmussen Fogarty & Hooker, P.A., Tampa, FL, November 2007 – January 2015, Senior Associate
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice, PLLC, Winston-Salem, NC, January 2004 – December 2006, Associate Attorney
- Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP, Winston-Salem, NC, August 1999 – June 2003, Associate Attorney
- Chambers USA: Associate on the Rise, Corporate/M&A & Private Equity, 2010-2013
- The Florida Bar
- State Bar of Texas
Selected Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- George Edgecomb Bar Association
- Parliamentarian, 2011-2012
- Executive Committee Member, 2011-2012
- Association of Corporate Growth
- Tampa Connection, Class of 2014-2015